March 13, 2010


Today when Hayden came out from her "rest" she had a new outfit on. I thought that it was a little weird, but when I asked her why she changed she said, "I don't know, I just felt like it." So, I left it at that.....until tonight, right before I put her to bed, when I was cleaning up all of her coloring books and found a wet pair of underwear near her dresser. When I asked her when she pee peed in her undies she said she didn't know. We both knew the answer though! So, we had a long talk about telling the truth no matter what. During the talk I was battling with so many emotions-disappointment because my daughter flat out lied to me, heartbroken because she felt like she couldn't be honest with her own mother, sadness because the punishment (no bedtime story and music) really upset her.....
I had to try to explain-to a toddler-the fact that lying about something is actually worse than doing that something and telling the truth when asked about it. She was afraid that we would be mad at her if she told us that she went potty in OUR bed while she was taking her nap. So instead when she woke up, she went in her bathroom, cleaned herself off then put some new clothes on. We talked for a while about it because I really wanted to make sure that she understood that mommy doesn't love her any less because she lied. She did end up telling the truth about what happened which was good. Something that just broke my heart though was when I was leaving her room she whispered something to me so I walked back in. She said, "books and music now?" So, then I had to explain to her that she didn't get books and music for the whole night. She didn't get it because she said, "But I told the truth now."
Little Miss Hayden is growing up.....good bad....like it or not....

0 love notes: