September 1, 2012

Essure

So, Jeremy and I decided that it was time to do something a little more permanent about NOT having children. As most of you know, Gwynn is so precious and such an amazing blessing to us.....but she was a surprise baby! We would like to avoid another "surprise". At first Jeremy was going to "get fixed", but our insurance didn't cover it :( So I started to look into my options since I was on Medicaid for the pregnancy. Sure enough there was a pretty non invasive procedure out there call Essure that was covered for me! I researched it and talked to the doctors about it and decided that that was the route to go. 
I went in for my 6 week check up and talked more to Dr Duhart about the procedure. She had me sign wavers and wrote prescriptions for me. At that point I got a little freaked out. I mean, I had watched a video of the procedure being done on the Dr. Oz show and it didn't seem like a big deal. But here I am signing stuff and getting pain killers and Xanax!! I felt like I was being dooped. 
Well, yesterday was the procedure. Jerm, Gwynn, and I got there at 9:15 and waited in the office until about 10:30. Then they called us back. The nurse gave me 2 pain killers and the Xanax. Wow, that Xanax really relaxed me. Jeremy videoed some of it. I just hate medications that make you feel out of control (surprise surprise!). I felt like I could fight it and get back to normal....no could do! I even got a shot and don't even remember it-I'll talk about that later though! 
After I got all nice and "relaxed" (as they liked to call it) they took me across the hallway to the procedure room. I have no idea what we talked about or what even really happened. The only think I do remember them saying is that it was a very very easy procedure with no bumps in the road. I also remember that I told them that I'd like to watch the procedure on the video screen. Basically, they insert a little camera in there too so that they know where to place the little coils. Unfortunately, I have no memory of what I saw! About 5 minutes later I was done! They walked me back over to Jerm and Gwynn and we left. I think that we had a few conversations along the way but I don't really know. 
By the time we left I think it was 12:30, so I told Jerm that I should get something to eat to help flush the stinking meds out of me! So, we went to Burger King. I don't really remember that, other than the fact that I didn't eat much. We got home and I crashed for 3 1/2 hours! 
Once I woke up and was a little more with it it was kind of like a scavanger hunt experience. Little pieces of information would come back to me and it would lead to a little treasure (or story) that Jeremy would be able to tell me about. At one point I found a band aid on my butt! I was like, "Umm, Jeremy....why the heck do I have a band aid on my butt!" He just started laughing and told me that while I was "relaxing" the nurse came  in and told me that she was going to give me a shot of liquid Motron and that people say it feels like a bee sting. After the shot he said that I rubbed my butt and said, "Ouch, yeah that feels just like a bee sting." Such a weird experience.  
I can say that the procedure itself was painless and not a big deal at all! It was the Xanax that got me!! 

0 love notes: