July 18, 2012

We Are A Family of FIVE?!


I took this today of the three sisters. This is Gwynn's first "outfit" that I've put her in. I have been putting her in the pj snap up things and covering her feet and hands so that she doesn't scratch herself. Well, last night I was reading some breast feeding info that the hospital gave me (feeling very engorged and uncomfortable and I was desperate for some relief) and they had a whole page about baby's second day. I know that my emotions are definitely way sensitive right now and over the top, but I almost lost it when I read it.It basically talks about the fact that on day two the baby starts to realize that she has no comforts from "home" anymore. There are new sounds, she's being passed all around from person to person, everything is so bright and loud, and she doesn't even have her fingers (which was her comfort in the womb) because they have been covered so she doesn't claw herself. The only comfort that she has found is the breast (if you are breastfeeding). So basically, let her find comfort in that and don't try to put her on a schedule or take it away....and take those covers off of her hands! So, this morning I dressed her in a non-hand-covering outfit, clipped her nails, and felt a lot better about not taking that away from her :)  

Yesterday was a busy day for us! We had Layne's 4 year old appointment and Gwynn's 1 week appointment (really she was just 5 days old, but who's counting?!). Layne did so well. She did a hearing test, eye test, got her blood pressure taken, and got 4 shots! She did scream for the shots and grandma had to hold her down, but we got through it. She claimed that she couldn't walk because of the shots, so grandma had to carry her for a little while. They she said that when she runs it actually makes her shots feel better. So for a while she was running everywhere!
Gwynn did well too. I had to (well, I guess I didn't have to) nurse in pubic for the first time in my life. We got to the appointment and I had all this paper work for fill out for both of them-new patient paperwork for Gwynn and updated paperwork for Layne. I sat, Gwynn woke up, she started crying, so I had to feed her because at this point that's the only thing that she wants when she's awake! So, I covered up, put her under the blanket, fed her, and did the paperwork all at the same time. Over and over since we had to wait!
The doctor was concerned with her jaundice so she sent us to the hospital for a blood test to check her levels. She was 15%, the doctor said that they get very concerned when levels are above 20%. Today the whites of her eyes don't look as yellow, so I think that it's clearing up. The doctor did mention that I bring her back on Thursday so that she could take a look at her eyes, but if it seems to be improving I don't know that we'll do that. I will just have to keep an eye on it. She hasn't quite made it back up to her birth weight yet either. She was 7 pound 8 ounces and yesterday she weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces. The doctor would like for me to bring her back next Monday for a weigh in.
She's eating kind of well....she's just so sleepy all the time. And she's sleeping very well. At night I was having trouble getting her down. One night it was from about 10:00pm to 4:00am until she really slept for more than 30 minutes. The next night it was from about 10:00pm to 2:00am. Two nights ago it was that she went right to sleep but then at 2:00am it took me until 5:00am to get her back to sleep. But LAST night mom suggested that I try to prop her on her side using her sleep positioner (kind of wedge her in there) while she was swaddled. Well, that worked like magic.....at least last night it did! She only woke up on her own one time last night! I, of course, woke her up about every 2 1/2 hours to feed her because I am so engorged. But once my milk gets all situated that will be a good deal if the swaddling side propping thing continues to work!

Daddy resting with his newest little girl. How tiny and cute is she?!

The birthday girl on Monday with her special surprise birthday cookie cake from daddy!


She seems to really like her swing.....of course I am pretty sure that she could sleep just about anywhere these days!

Little girl in her big crib.

The beautiful 18 long stemmed red roses that dad and Melody sent us!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

0 love notes: