August 26, 2012

Hitting the Pavement

Friday was my 6 week appointment at my OB/GYN. Everything was just fine so that means....back to running! Yesterday was the day I had been looking forward to for months-I was going to go running again! I went early in the morning so that it wasn't too hot. Jeremy was home so I didn't have to take Gwynn and the jogging stroller (I will experiment with that on Monday). I gathered my shoes and iPod and stretched my muscles. I can't even begin to think about the last time I stretched. I put some great tunes on and I was off! As I jogged through the neighborhood I felt great- lots of energy, no burning lungs, muscles felt great. *Note that the beginning of my run in the neighborhood is down hill.* I thought to myself, "Wow, I'm really in better shape than I thoughts. This is going to be kind of easy to get back into running....awesome!" Then the first hill came. Mind you, I am still on Kings Mountain Drive (my neighborhood!). I got up to Hayden's school and it was bad. My lungs still weren't burning, but my quads were! I had wanted to run 2 miles, but at this rate I was going to be lucky to even run 1!! I immediately thought of my neighbor that I passed on the downhill (when things were great) as I left the neighborhood, "If I head back now and see him again sitting on his rocking chair on his porch he is going to think I am a joke! I need to keep running, I need to keep going!" So, I kept running through Hayden's school parking lot but I knew my legs were not going to make it up the horse park hill or up the 138 hill on the way back. So, I headed back. Oh well. I had such high hopes for that first run, but I just had to accept that fact that I am REALLY out of shape and it's going to take some work to get my endurance back. 

0 love notes: